Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire damage can have a profound and distressing impact on both your home and well-being. When facing the aftermath of a fire, it's crucial to take certain steps to minimize the damage and begin the recovery process.
- First and foremost, prioritize safety. Before re-entering your property, assess for structural damage, potential gas leaks, and electrical hazards. Your safety and the safety of others is paramount.
- Reach out to a trusted restoration company, like SERVPRO of San Ramon.
- Documenting the damage is vital for insurance purposes. Take photographs and maintain detailed records of the destruction, which will be crucial when filing your insurance claims.
- Proper ventilation is essential to remove smoke odors. Open windows and use fans if safe, but consult professionals for safe techniques.
- Cleaning up after a fire should not be a DIY endeavor, as toxic residues may be present. Our SERVPRO team has the expertise and equipment to handle soot and ash removal.
Remember, fire damage recovery is a complex process that requires expertise. Prioritize safety and professional assistance to ensure a successful restoration.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (925) 359-6126
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.